Friday, July 17, 2009

Bastille Day!!

The French sure do know how to celebrate! Monday night i got home from Amsterdam and the little courtyard by my house was hoppin with live music and dancing. They were going until at least 1am bumpin french rap and michael jackson. I woke up Tuesday and hung out around my house for a while. I met up with Cat and Roman at their apt and we headed to the Eiffel tower to celebrate. We picked up some bread, cheese and meat at the nearest Monoprix and set up camp on the grass in front of the tower. I thought it was packed when we got there around 4, but 4times more people showed up. We ate, drank and played cards for several hours. The concert started around 7. It was really good! Apparently its Frances equivalent of Jason Mraz. Then the 70-yr old man came on- way too much plastic surgery if you ask me. He is a big hit here in France--his name was something Holliday i think?? It was really cool. I have never experienced anything so cool--I was so happy to be there. There wasn't an inch to walk, tons of people dancing and singing, hangin out- it was awesome. I don't think i have ever seen so many people(that werent at something like a baseball or football game) together in one open area. I heard there were expecting around 800,000 people at and around the Tower.
The fireworks started at 10:45 and they were spectacular! there was a 3D light show displayed on the eiffel tower itself. At one point it looked like the tower was moving. They went through the years and themed the music. The fireworks were fired from the tower itself. One of the coolest things ive seen. They lasted for almost 45 minutes.
when the show was over, we headed out with the other hundreds of thousands of people onto the street. The entire width of the street was filled, elbow to elbow with people. You couldnt move any way except forward, it was like a river of people--insane!! We couldnt even get onto the metro because the line was so long. Actually, you couldnt even see the entrance from where we were. So we walked to the further metro- the line was long but we hopped a fence (what? everyone was doing it) and got in quicker. The line was so long in our direction and the trains were so full from the previous stops that no one could get on. So, me, the thinker--we crossed over to the other direction, took it up 2 stops where the cars weren't full, and got on going the right direction. Took time, but way less than it would have if we would have stayed in line. Finally got home almost 2 hours after the show ended! That was a crazy day! So much fun. So glad I was here for Bastille Day. I will post some pics too! maybe a video if it will let me!

No comments:

Post a Comment