Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Conseil d'Etat

Bonjour
Woke up sweating again...i think its time to invest in a fan. It is freaking hot here!!! When you start sweating down your legs thats when you know its hot!
Went to a cafe this morning called "Breakfast in America" where they only speak english and serve things like pancakes and waffles, enchiladas and more importantly "ToGo" coffee! The girls there were from Canada and England.
I almost fell asleep in both classes today. not because they aren't interesting, but because I am not sleeping very well here. I was trying my best, and even the coffee had no effect on me.
After class, I attended the Survival course in French and learned how to count and the ABC's. Then a couple of friends and I went to get a quick Falafel and Gyro in the Jewish neighborhood around the corner. It was delicious! the best ive ever had hands down.
Then we were off as a large group to the Conseil d'Etat which is one of the high courts in the French system. Honestly, I wish I could have paid more attention, but again, no matter what I did, I was falling asleep. I tried shaking my legs, changing positions, etc and nothing worked. So I have a vague recollection of what they actually do. I do remember hearing that they decide around 30,000 cases a year which is absolutely crazy!! At least compared to our Supreme Court...
After this, I picked up my Navigo which is a monthly metro pass for 61 euro. Its worth it because I have to take the metro at least 2 times a day to get to school and back. then I went home to cool down (HAHA, ya right!!) and drop off my stuff before goin to the store.
I went to Rue Daguerre(my fav) to the markets. Picked up some pesto stuffed gnocci with some delicious sauce, olives and my first bottle of french wine for 3.80 euro(the cheapest i could find). then I went to the Monoprix(supermarket) and picked up some cheese, eggplant, mushrooms, cleaning stuff, etc.
As a sidenote, the cleaning lady couldnt come this week and the lady that lived here before me was very dirty. The sink, shower and toilet were disgusting. I dont think she ever cleaned them the entire 8 months she lived here.
On my way home, I stopped for a baguette which was piping hot straight out of the oven. I couldnt help myself, I had a few bites on the way home and felt like a true Parisienne.

Dinner was delicious and now I am off to bed...hopefully a good nights sleep.
Au Revoir

6 comments:

  1. Bonjour mon chéri, Nous sommes si fiers de vous assimilant dans le vin français de culture…, baguettes….oh mon ! Ayez grand une traduction de temps et de bonne chance. Aimez la maman et le papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grand sez de papa ; 30.000 cas par année est 116 une merveille du jour. .no que le guiotinne était ..... étole tellement populaire une chute du pain… coupable….P.-V. invariable….coupable….outre de avec leur tête !

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a translation go to Babel Fish Mon Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, those google bastards. i'll have to start all over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay, sorry. i should have saved it before trying to post.
    just read your long report about the last couple days. all that walking, the heat, the jet lag..no wonder you're sleepy. it will pass. though i understand the heat is there for the summer, cheri, that's why the parisiens leave town. and don't worry about the long blogs. it will soon be that you've found your way about, and have lots of friends to hang with, and we will be left starving for details. and i lust for the daily particulars, especially the food. i want that falafel!
    glad you like your classes; it's what you've been waiting for. and with them will come some people with whom you can have those interesting conversations (regardez le middle easterners if you will mention our military in their neck of the woods).
    we don't have skype. i'll try to check out how to do it. i'm going to denise's for 12 days on friday, so we'll work on it.
    don't forget the opera house - opulence, and i believe it's free to go in. amour, cherie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonsoir Megan,
    It has been so good skyping you. Glad you got to meet Clint too. I am at work right now. It is so busy. Wish I was eating baguettes with you instead..... Talk to you soon little lady. Love you long time! I wish I could give you an emo smile face right here. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete