Friday, July 17, 2009

Exploring

This was a short week because no class Monday or Tuesday which was nice! Wednesday I didn't do much. Thursday after class, Ashkaan, Allison and I went exploring. We walked from their house on Poppencourt to Notre Dame- the line was too long so we just took pics outside. Then we got some delicious ice cream- arguably the best in Paris. I had an orange and dark chocolate---sooo good! Then we walked to the Tuiliere Gardens which are connected to the Louvre. If it wasn't so hot that day, we probably would have hung out more by the fountains, but just sitting in the sun we were sweating! So then we took the loooong walk to the Arch de Triumphe which didn't seem that far until we started walking and the arch never got any closer it seemed! We would walk for 20 min and it looked like the same distance away. We finally made it and paid the 5.50euro student price to go up to the top. It was definitely worth it. Not only did i GET to walk up 280-some steps for a workout, I also got to see Paris from up high 360 degrees. It was awesome! I still havent been up the Eiffel tower, so I can't compare it to that yet. It was a pretty clear day so we could see the entire city. Down below there was some ceremony going on at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It was pretty cool to watch French Military honoring someone. They have funny hats though. I took some pics for Kev--i like his uniform better :)
My feet were killing me by the time we got down so we decided to take the metro/RER back to their house. I made my way home and talked on skype with Dad, Kimmy and Kev instead of getting my reading done--thanks guys! jk I love skype! While i was on skype with my dad, at wind/lightening/thunder/rain/hail (yes, all of those things) happened. It was crazy because it was 80 degrees not 2 hours before. All of the sudden a gush of wind came, it started pouring, then hailing, thunder and lightening. It was raining so hard, and the wind was blowing so much that it looked like smoke coming off of the building. It was like a hurricane/flash flood. The streets immediately were overflowing with water. Tree branches all along the street--huge, thick ones-broke off and were on the ground this morning. I've never seen something happen that fast.
Today Allison and I went to a cafe to study, fill in our notes, and outline. Then I came home and updated all of this for you guys to see! Oh, then I made the most delicious crepe ever! I sauteed mushrooms with salt, pepper, butter and cream. Then cooked a small piece of veal and put those in a crepe with emmental cheese and topped it with the yummy lettuce they have here, tomatoes, and the house salad dressing. Amazing!!
Now I am going to bed--pics from yesterday will have to wait until Sunday night.
I leave for Loire valley tomorrow morning at 645am so I need to attempt to get a few hours of sleep. Love you all!
Au Revoir!

2 comments:

  1. fantastic!!! thanks so much for the pics and the descriptions - love it. and i think your photos of the fireworks are great; the blur gives them artistic flavor. you probably don't remember, but the french had one of the best displays for the y2k celebration, and the eiffel tower was the focus of it. your pics reminded me of that. glad you could be there for the occasion. and they must do that every year?
    sounds like you're finding your way around the food pretty well. something about the ingredients makes things better too, especially the dairy products - cream, cheese, etc. i'm guessing their cows chew real grass and don't live in huge methane factories.
    amsterdam looked wonderful too. so much stuff to see. and don't miss the end of the tour de france. not sure where they are now, but it always looks like a big celebration on tv. have fun cherie, and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Daddy sez, Glad to see you are posting; you can't let your fan club down! Also glad to hear that there is more to Amsterdam than Hash, refuse to grow up flower children and little boys with fingers in a dyke (through back to my childhood cartoons) Just remember that there is time enough to sleep when you are old and grey; and you will have great memories. Love you Dad

    ReplyDelete